Monday, February 2, 2009

Christmas in Oklahoma

I know this is way late, but I am going to write about my Christmas. We went to Oklahoma City to visit my parents on their mission. We were there for about a week. It was so much fun to be there and visit with mom and dad. The mission home is big enough that we had lots of room to spread out and feel at home. While we were there we made gingerbread houses, ate, made carmel-chocolate dipped preztels, ate, went to the bombing memorial, ate, went to the natural history museum, ate, went Christmas caroling with the missionaries, ate, and had a nice Christmas day with mom and dad.

We weren't able to take very many presents with us so our Christmas there was pretty simple (we opened our presents after we got back). But I liked not having so many presents because it showed me and the kids that we could have a good Christmas with very little. My sister had heard of a lady who didn't have any money for presents so on Christmas morning she lit a bunch of candles in her house and had decorated the house like the nativity scene and brought her kids in and said something special had happened in the night and they talked about Jesus being born. So Suzette thought it would be fun for us to do the same things for my kids. So Christmas morning we lit a bunch of candles and Terry and I sort of dressed up like Mary and Joseph and we tried to hold Isaac like baby Jesus (but he just didn't want to stay on my lap). The kids came in and sat down and we told them what had happened during the night and let them ask questions. It was a little funny, but my mom and Suzette thought it still turned out neat. I think I felt funny because I was the part of the center of attention. But I liked that the first thing we did that morning focused on the Savior.



2 comments:

Marne said...

What a fun time to build memories! That's great you got to go, and fun for Terry to track down childhood memories. That is priceless!

Happy birthday to your kids. Lacy has a December birthday too. Kinda crazy, but oh well. That's how it is!

Alison said...

I love the Mary and Joseph idea on Christmas morning. It's so true about keeping it simple - I think alot of times we overdo it now days and we would be happier if it was a little (or a lot) less! Sounds like you had a fun time in Oklahoma and I'm sure your parents were so happy you were there. I love that you ate and ate and ate! That's a true holiday right there! :) Cute pictures.