I was just reading in the Ensign about how we should create bucketloads of memories so that our kids can remember happy childhoods. THat isn't exactly how they phrased it. But it made me remember our little experience we had on Sunday.
After conference we decided to make cookies as a family. Terry told the girls they could do everything. So they all gathered around the counter and got the butter in the mixing bowl. Terry turned the mixer on and a cube of butter went flying out onto the floor. The girls screamed. He bent over picked it up and put it back in. (I know it is unsanitary--but oh well).
Then Ainsley reached over and turned on the mixer to high and another chunk of butter went flying out. The girls screamed and then that chunk of butter was retrieved and put back in.
Then Ellie went to dump a cup of brown sugar in the bowl and somehow completely missed the bowl and dumped the sugar all over the counter and the floor. The girls screamed. I started cleaning up the sugar while the girls frantically licked up as much as they could. They managed to get in a few more ingredients without any mishaps.
I noticed Abby was standing in some sugar so I moved her and her stool so I could clean it and in the process knocked the open bag of chocolate chips off the counter. They fell in such as way as to empty the whole bag before it hit the floor. Chocolate chips were everywhere. The girls screamed. Then they jumped down and started stuffing their mouths with chocolate chips until we told them to stop or we wouldn't have any for the cookies. So yes, we picked up the chocolate chips off the floor and still used them. I know it is gross but they were the only chocolate chips we had.
After that Ainsley was standing on her stool and somehow lost her balance and fell off. She screamed.
That was the last of our mishaps. We baked the cookies and took them to our bishops family. I know we shouldn't have because of the exposure to the floor--but maybe the oven heat killed any germs. And for all we know they could have just dumped the cookies because we ended up leaving them on their doorstep without a card. So maybe they didn't trust anonymous cookie giving.
So that was our cookie making memory. It was fun because we all (meaning Terry and I) managed to keep our sense of humor through the whole thing.
8 comments:
ahhhh, precious childhood moments! wish we could have been there to go chocolate chip diving with the kids!
I can't believe you gave them to the bishop. Have you no shame?
Sue
That is hillarious! Oh the things that happen when you are doing them with kids. They always seem much more interested to help eat the ingredients that making the food!
I love this post!!! The way you describe it all makes me laugh. I love all the screaming with your 3 girls, and all the spills. That is what happens everytime with us too. I love that you kept your sense of humor and made a fun memory!!!
Oven heat for sure kills all the germs. No worries there! :)
Oh I was laughing at this while reading it. Very funny! I can only imagine...good job for keeping your cool...that would have been hard for me.
Great Story. I loved that your girls screamed after everything. Girls are too fun. Its funny how becoming a Mom de-sensitizes you to all of the thing you used to think were gross. I would have eaten your cookies!
I was laughing so hard as I read this...probably because I can relate all to well, except for the screaming part. (Boys don't do that as much as girls.) I can just see my boys licking the sugar as fast as they can before I get it cleaned up. Thanks for a good laugh. I think you are a great mom. Way to create a bucketful of fun for them to remember!
that is way too funny. you and terry were so nice to not lose your cool over it all. i need to try to do stuff like this more with my kids. I just get so tired sometimes. I like the bucketload of memories idea.
Post a Comment