Sunday, May 8, 2011

Wicked

This might be the title for many a blog from Idaho right now. It seems that many made the trekk over to Boise to watch Wicked. I was one of them.

On Friday me, Abby and Ainsley drove with Suzette, mom and dad over to Boise. We stayed at a Marriot Town and Suite which was nice. However, I have heard recent reports of bed bugs from my brother who stays in hotels in Boise often, and I felt like I needed to check the for signs of bedbugs. The problem was, I didn't know the signs. So I just stopped worrying about it.

We ate dinner that night at Elmers (had this really good Sun Valley chicken sandwich) and then drove around Boise a little. Downtown Boise is beautiful. I haven't been there since high school and I really liked how BSU is right next to the river and the downtwon is really nice. Anyway. . .

The girls were impatient to go swimming, which is not my favorite thing to do. But I did it anyway. Terry was surprised when he heard I swam myself (although sitting in the hot tub is not really swimming).

We went to bed after that and watched Princess Diaries till our eyes were drooping. Then we woke up and swam again. I think that was the highlight of the trip for the girls. We walked around the downtown area for a while and then ate lunch at the Julia Davis Park. Tom and Kerry met up with us there. Then we headed over to the Morrison Center for the big show.

I love seeing plays done by professionals. It is amazing to see so much talent on one stage. And the girl who played Elpheba had such an awesome voice--and she was only the understudy.

At intermission I asked Abby what was her favorite part so far. She said the dragon moving its head. The dragon was part of the stage set. It is funny that with all that was going on on the stage, the dragon was what stood out to Abby.

We got back late last night. Ainsely was wiped out from the excitement and slept almost the whole way home.

Ellie and Terry were supposed to have gone with us, but after we bought the tickets we discovered the ISU Children's Choir concert was at the same time as Wicked. So Terry said he would stay home with Ellie. Ellie was selected this year to do a solo in between the choir numbers. She played a fiddling song on her violin. Terry and my friend Emy (whos daughter is in the choir too) said Ellie did awesome. Her teacher has been trying to get her to play her song at a good steady pace and not get too fast. Terry and I have tried to support that but it is fun to listen to it fast so we were happy that Ellie just kind of took off while she was performing (I saw it on video).
Here she is.

3 comments:

Suzette said...

I think she sounds fabulous!

Amy said...

Good job, Ellie!! She did such a great job, and it must have been hard to miss it! (But Wicked sounded pretty amazing, too.)

Heather said...

how fun!

one time we stayed in this hotel in orlando by the beach. jimmy's brother booked it. it was like a 1 star hotel. all night long i could just imagine the cockroaches all over the place. i don't think i slept a wink. ick...

and ellie is so good at playing the fiddle/violin. hannah just started taking piano and abe says he wants to play the trumpet (not sure about that!!!). music is so neat for kids.

sorry for all the comments. :)