Sunday, November 11, 2007

Sharing Time


I was just put in the primary presidency of our ward and did my first sharing time today. I think it made my blood pressure go up a little. Last week I sat and observed the primary and thought they were such good reverent kids, but today I thought they were a little loud and restless. But after talking to the primary president she said they acted about the same. It is amazing how your perspective changes once you have responsibility over something. Anyway, the sharing time went fine--but I was really keyed up when I got home from church. I kept running through my mind everything that had happened and thought about all my mistakes etc. It took me a while to wind down.

I am posting a picture of Sam today because he is wearing his first white shirt and tie, although I don't know if you can really see it under the sweater. I thought he looked pretty cute.

The other thing I wanted to write about was a book I just read called "Speak". It is a young adult novel and I thought it was very moving. It is about the after effects of a girl who gets raped at a party. I wouldn't have chosen to read this book because it is such a grim topic but Suzette insisted I read it. And while I was reading it I kept remembering an article in the Ensign a few months ago that a mom wrote about her daughter being raped on a date and how her daughter totally changed and they couldn't figure out what had happened for a while. Anyway, both stories are very moving and it made me feel how important it is to be in tune with our kids so we can recognize when something is happening in our kids lives. In the book the parents had no idea and just thought their daughter had a lot of attitude. Anyway, it is an easy read and very worth it--I thought.

Today before church the kids and I made a chain showing how many days until this next baby comes--only 26 now--and we wrote on each chain something that we are grateful for. The kids were really having a hard time thinking and most of what we wrote had to do with animals. But it was fun and it passed some of the time (we have church at 1 PM).

One last thing. I went to a Stake Auxillary training meeting on Thursday and as I was sitting there I noticed a girl who looked like Jenny Blackham. The more I watched her the more sure I was that it was her. So after the meeting I talked with her and she is living not too far away from where I live. She is married to a police officer and has 3 kids and teaches dance. The funny thing is she is in a ward where Spencer Smith is the bishop. He is my little brother Nathan's age. That would be weird, but I am sure you would get used to it. Anyway, it was good to see Jenny. I don't think I have seen her in about 10 years.

4 comments:

Alison said...

Kristi, Wow! Congratulations on your calling. You will do great, and I'm sure your sharing time went very well! I love being in the Primary. I bet your girls are excited you're there too. So which do you like best, Presidency or Chorister?

Sam looks darling in his white shirt and tie with his sweater. He is growing up! What a cute boy.

Sounds like you've been busy. Fun to see Jenny Blackham. I haven't seen her since our 10 year reunion (I guess not too long ago.) :) I would love to see everyone from school and see their kids. I think seeing everyone's kids would be so fun. And Spencer Smith is a bishop! Holy smokes! He's a young bishop. That's really neat. (I guess I better clarify: Is it Jenny Smith's little brother, or Ben Smith's little brother?)

Anyway, glad you posted again. Fun to hear what you're up too!

Kristi said...

It's Jenny Smith's little brother. So I think he was made bishop when he was 27.

Marne said...

I enjoyed this post Kristi! Your little boy is adorable. Of course, I am partial to boys myself! :) Congrats on the upcoming baby! Do you know what you are having?

Thanks for the book recommendation. I love books like that that make you reflect.

I can't beleive Spencer is a bishop! Crazy!

Jeanna said...

What a cute family you have! And another one on the way. Seems like everyone is having babies! Fun to see pictures and hear what you are doing. Good luck with primary!