The much anticipated day finally arrived last Thursday. My parents made it home from their 3 year mission to Oklahoma City. This last month has gone by ever so slowly as we counted down the days till they would be home. But it finally arrived and I can't describe what a sweet moment we had when they pulled into the driveway to all of their kids and their spouses and Grandma Shirley and Aunt Linda and 22 grandkids with balloons--all yelling WELCOME HOME!!!
Mom and dad climbed out of the car and were bombarded with hugs from all the little grandkids. Mom had an especially bitterweet reunion with Grandma Shirley and her sister Linda. Grandpa Shirley died just five days before mom got home and so everyone's feelings were extra tender.
It is so nice to have mom and dad back home. I felt like I wanted to move home for a while so I could witness them re-experiencing everything. However, that can't be so I am back in my own home.
After we had a little hour long reunion we ate a meal provided by the Sugar 4th ward relief society and then we all got in our Sunday clothes and went over to the funeral home for my Grandpa's viewing. Terry and I walked in with our kids and they immediately were at the casket trying to touch grandpa. We let them look for a minute and then we pulled them away so the other people who were there could see and visit with Grandma.
It was immediately apparent that the kids had to go. They were running around pews and cutting in and out of people in line so they could see grandpa over and over again. Terry was kind and took our kids and some of Jodi's kids away. The other in-laws took the rest of the kids too and so my brothers and sisters and I were able to all sit and have a nice visit for an hour and half. That doesn't happen very often that we get to sit and talk with each other uninteruppted.
We were laughing at this pose my dad was making.
The next day was Grandpa's funeral. It was really a beautiful service. Grandpa was a very good man and it was fun to hear stories about him that we had never heard before. The things that stood out the most to me were that he never stopped learning, it was important to him to show gratitude, he endured his trials well, and he and grandma were a match made by heaven.
As I sat and listened I was overwhelmed with gratitude for Heavenly Father's plan for us. I felt I was witnessing His plan at it's best. Grandpa had come to earth and recieved his body. He had been taught the gospel and he lived it. He had trials that he had to endure and he endured them well. He passed his tests. He had a family that he was sealed to for eternity. And after he had lived his life, it was time to move on to the next step. Because of the atonement of Jesus Christ I know he will be resurrected and be with his family again.
Anyway, the spirit at grandpa's funeral was very strong and I felt certain Heavenly Father was pleased with Grandpa's life. We will sure miss him!
1 comment:
Kristi, I just LOVE your family. I loved seeing you all again at your dear Grandpa's funeral. I bet your parents have enjoyed being home and I hope you have all been able to get together A LOT! I loved this post. I felt the Spirit at your Grandpa's funeral so strongly, and the part that stuck out to me the most was how he made his children and grandchildren feel loved. That he got window motors out of old cars with your uncle, not because he probably really wanted to, but your uncle did. It has made me want to do that more for my own kids. What a great example he was and is. I love the memories I have of him and am grateful to you for including me in your family! Not many people get to know their great-aunts or great-uncles and I'm thankful that I did. I hope your summer is going well. I want to try to come visit you before the summer is over. We'll see if I can make it happen! How many times have I said that and never made it? Anyway, know I'm thinking of you and wanting to come.
Oh, and cute picture of you and your siblings. You are gorgeous!
Post a Comment